Toronto Catholic PIC Recommendations to the Board of Trustees and Staff:
1. That parent engagement strategies and best practices be a standing item at every superintendent/principal meeting (s);
2. That Staff send a letter with CSPC email information addressed to each CSPC Chair by courier. The letter should include the benefits and value of using the TCDSB assigned email address, as well as how to obtain access and how to forward to their personal email address if desired. A copy of this letter should also be sent to all Principals with a strong header to remind the Principals of the importance of CSPC Chairs using the TCDSB assigned email address.
3. That Staff remind principals that the Safe School Committee at the school level should include the mandated parent representative(s).
4. That the Board of Trustees review the secondary school level policy on parent-teacher interviews to confirm that the option of one or two evening is available to parents; and,
5. Through the Board of Trustees that Staff ensures that parent(s) are informed about their options and rights to connect with teachers and principals outside of designated interview days.
6. That A new process & IT protocol be developed to achieve the following:
a. Consistent with the Toronto Catholic PIC recommendation Motion 17/11-16 made on November 20, 2017 and to be acted on by staff THAT every new school year, the School Board send out via the school principal a personalized letter that informs & instructs the newly elected or returning CSPC chair about the existence, benefits and login information to the CSPC email account
b. In recognizing that CSPC chairs are not school board employees, they should not be subject to BYOD policies, the school board needs to provide straightforward instructions on the various means to access their CSPC email account and how to set it up as an additional mailbox on the parent's existing email accounts (examples by way of Active Sync, etc.), web service, and mobile connect methods and/or on how to forward or proxy, to their personal email.
c. These instructions should be easily accessible using modern social media methodology like YouTube, Facebook, Video on Parent webpage, et al.