Recommendations from SEAC to Board:
1. Consideration of Motion from Tyler Munro regarding Gap in Individual Education Plan (IEP) Process that SEAC recommend to the Board that an IEP completion date be added to the Case Conference or School Based Support Learning Team (SBSLT) form (Item 11c).
2. Consideration of Motion from Tyler Munro regarding Special Education Graduation Rate:
WHEREAS: The mission of the TCDSB is to be an inclusive learning community uniting home, parish and school and rooted in the love of Christ;
WHEREAS: Completing high school successfully is a critical component for a full and productive life beyond high school;
WHEREAS: The Ministry of Education has reported a high incidence of students with IEP not completing high school across the province; and
WHEREAS: The OHRC has raised concerns about the high level of people with disabilities who did not complete high school in the correctional system.
BE IT RESOLVED: That SEAC recommend to the Board that an annual “Special Education Needs Students (SENS) Graduation report” be prepared for the Board and SEAC on Special Needs students starting with the 2018-19 year Grade 12 students with an IEP excluding gifted with the following:
- Total number of students who enrolled and attended;
- Number of students who graduated with an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD);
- Number of students who graduated with an Ontario Secondary School Certificate (OSSC);
- Number of students who graduated with a Certificate of Attendance;
- Number of students who enrolled in the next school year. (fifth year, sixth year, seventh year);
- Number of students who did not return due to aging restrictions and did not graduate with an OSSD, OSSC or Certificate of Attendance;
- Number of students who did not graduate and did not return for other reasons than above but completed the school year; and
- Number of students who did not complete the school year.
We ask that the report be prepared annually and include the five most recent years of accumulated history listed by school year going forward. (i.e. in the first years, report will only have 2018-19 results, the second year will have 2018-19 and 2019-20, etc…) and Board-wide results for all students and, if possible, Provincial comparable (Item 11d).
3. Consideration of Motion from Tyler Munro regarding New Member Recruitment for SEAC (Community and Association Reps):
WHEREAS: Education Act Regulations 464/97 “Special Education Advisory Committees” (SEAC) allow the TCSDB to have 19 members composed of three Trustees, 12 association representatives and four community representatives;
WHEREAS:TCDSB’s current SEAC, as of the September 18, 2019 meeting, has 12 members composed of three Trustees, seven association representative and two community representatives; and
WHEREAS: There are currently vacancies for five association representatives and two community representatives on the TCDSB’s SEAC;
BE IT RESOLVED: That SEAC recommend to the Board that the posting below go out in all Board-wide email blasts for the month of January and we request that it be included in all the January 2020 monthly school newsletters to parents and placed prominently on the Board’s website with appropriate links to volunteer forms (Item 11e).